Friday, July 6, 2007

I'm Just a Guy

Hi. I'm Michael, and I knit. Phew, that felt good to get off my chest. I haven't always been a knitter, nor did I grow up in a home with a mother who spent her nights making sweaters and scarves and such. Apparently she did have a penchant for crocheting booties but I have a limited recollection of that fact and so shall take her at her word. I do recall not so intelligently wrapping a knit scarf around my face to keep it warm during a run and ending up coughing up red yarn for a week, but I'm not even sure who made that. Anyway, I digress. No, I learned how to knit from my girlfriend, who picked up the habit during our third year of law school (recently completed by the way) and hit the ground running.

At first, I thought of knitting as "her hobby," as in, not "our shared interest." And really, who could blame me? So you know where I'm coming from, I'm a 25 year-old plain old guy who spends the greater part of his free time watching sports (often my beloved Red Sox), reading (often about my beloved Red Sox), or playing poker (generally the online variety with little at stake). I'm not a jock, and I have been known to be metro-curious, but really, I think I'm just a guy.

As you may know, "guys" don't knit. We scratch everywhere, burp, bore you with batting averages and on-base percentages, and snore; but, we do not knit . Little did I know that I was about to prove all this wrong, at least to myself. It started innocently enough. After watching the Knitting Gal (see Bill Simmons for the inspiration behind this nickname) throw herself into the world of knitting for months, I finally decided that I had to see for myself what this hobby was all about. Using some "remnants," I awkwardly cast on for the first time, then awkwardly learned the knit stitch, then awkwardly...I think you get the point. Knitting for the first time felt about as natural as, well, let's just say it felt unnatural. Knitting Gal assured me that it would start to feel more comfortable as I got the hang of it, but I was skeptical.

To make a long intro short, I am now more than a quarter way through my FIRST PROJECT, which is a blanket in the proud brown and blue colors of my alma matter. In the future, I plan on expounding on issues facing knitting guys, and hope for your feedback and thoughts.

There it is, I knit. And I like it.

10 comments:

Anonymous said...

well you articulate yourself very well and kept my interest in an introductory post. I am excited to see what you produce, both with yarn and with confronting stereotypes.

I should get myself a knitting blog.

Anonymous said...

If you get addicted, will you have to change the name of your blog to "The Man Who Knit Too Much"?

I look forward to seeing some of your finished objects.

Jan in CA said...

Good for you! Looking forward to seeing your knitting progress! :)

Kristin said...

Congrats! You should be proud - definitely nothing to be ashamed of. And GO SOX!

Unknown said...

Yay!
You MUST come to KH now :-D

Anonymous said...

YeeHaw Go Red Sox! And keep on knittin'! Great start to your blog, btw.

Anonymous said...

Sweet! I've just taught my husband to knit. Thanks for sharing. :)

jeanius said...

my favourite part was the end, "There it is, I knit. And I like it."
welcome to world of knitting. i'm still trying to convince dh that it's ok to learn to knit. :D

Anonymous said...

I'm so glad you have taken up the knitting hobby with your girlfriend. I have knit for a long time and tried to talk my husband into trying it and he always said no. Then last November on our 40th anniversary he said I could teach him to knit. I was floored, but happy.

He made about 20 hats, all his own designs. Then the weather warmed up and he moved back to his other interests. But he is able to understand what I am talking about when I talk "knitting" now, and that was his main objective. He definitely caught the bug, and he will take up the needles again when long nights are upon us.

You two will have a lot of fun sharing this intriguing craft. The learning never ends with knitting.

Anonymous said...

Good to read about/from a fellow guy knitter. I find it quite relaxing.

Good blog.